There are basically four different ways to travel between Madrid (Barajas) Airport and Toledo.
The four ways are: by rental car, by taxi, by bus, and by train. Below we offer some information.
There is a RENFE office in the airport ( arrival area of terminal 1 ) where you can obtain further information about trains.
We strongly recommend to buy the tickets at the airport office or by using the RENFE web page.
by High Velocity "AVE"
Step 1: Go from "Aeropuerto Madrid-Barajas" to "Estación Madrid-Atocha":
Option 1: By Metro.
Option 2: By taxi.
- Transportation: Metro / Price: 0,81 euros / Estimated time: 43 minutes
- Steps: In the airport, take METRO line 8 up to "Nuevos Ministerios" Station. Follow the signs to take the Cercanias train to "Atocha" station (you can purchase the ticket to Toledo from the "Nuevos Ministerios" Cercanias station). Take the first train that goes to Atocha, and then change in Atocha to the train to Toledo.
- Transportation: Taxi / Price: around 20 euros / Estimated time: 20 minutes
- Note: Time and price depend on traffic.
Step 2: Go from "Estación Madrid-Atocha" to "Estación de Tren de Toledo" 35 minutes
Rental cars are readily available at the airport. You want to take road N-401 towards Toledo. Simply put, you can use the inner ring, M-30, or the outer ring, M-40, to go south on the eastern (airport) side of Madrid until you intersect with M-401 which will take you to Toledo. (Ask for a map when checking out the car).
There is an interactive wep-page (in spanish) at info_alquiler_coches.html that provides `optimal' directions.
For Barajas-Toledo it suggests :
- Leave the the Airport on the M-111
- Follow M-111 until intersection with M-110 (1.2 km)
- Then follow M-110 until intersection with N-I (5.8km)
- Take N-I until intersection with M-30 (inner ring around Madrid) 8.6km
- Follow the M30 until intersection with N-IV (13.2 km)
- Follow N-IV until intersection with N-401 (2.7km) (this is the main road to Toledo)
The journey, depending on the details of how you go, will take about an hour, traffic permitting.
Taxis are relatively cheap in Spain. If you take a taxi all the way from the airport to Toledo, expect to pay approximately 50-60€.
There are frequent buses between Madrid and Toledo. They depart from `Estacion Sur de Autobuses' (Southern Bus Station) in Madrid, located at Mendez Alvaro metro station.
From the airport you can go here by metro (~45 mins, 0'95 €) or by taxi (~20-25 mins, ~15 €).
To go by metro from the airport to the bus station you follow the itinerary below:
- Line 8 : Barajas - Mar de Cristal
- Line 4 : Mar de Cristal - Avenida de America
- Line 6 : Avenida de America - Mendez Alvaro
The buses depart every 30 min between 06.30-22.00 Monday to Saturday, and 08.00-24.00 on Sundays.
You can buy tickets at counter number 51 at the station from 06.20-22.00 Monday to Saturday, and 08.00-23.00 on Sundays. The price for single fare is 3'61 €.
When you get to Toledo you need to take a short taxi ride to your hotel.